Stranded on an alien planet, you must go in search of resources. Copper and iron ore, for example, are processed in stone furnaces, and coal can be used to provide power. During the game, you explore more and more technologies with so-called science packs. The complexity continues to increase, allowing you to build complete production facilities at the end of the game.
Basic server configuration
You can create backups for your GPORTAL server if you want to. You receive free storage space for saving your game play.
Note Please note that backups are not created automatically.
How to create a backup via the web interface:
- Log on to our website
- Click on “My Servers” in the menu on the left
- Select the desired server
- Click on “Backup” in the “Administration” menu on the left
- Click on “Create Backup“
- The server stops for the backup
- After creating the backup, the server restarts automatically
Important No backups can be saved between 19:00 and 21:00 (CET).
Basic questions / FAQs
How do I connect to a server?
- Log on to your GPORTAL account
- Select the chosen server
- Click on “Basic Settings” in the menu on the left
- Make a note of your server’s IP and port
- Start the game and click on “Multiplayer”
- Select Multiplayer
- Click on “Connect to the Game“
- Enter your server’s IP and port and click on “Connect”
How do I install mods on my Factorio server?
Mods have become a standard in many games. In Factorio, too, you can use countless mods to get new items or other features. You can find out how to upload them to your server here:
- First download the mods you want to use from the Factorio Mod Portal.
- After you have downloaded the mods, stop your server.
- Now connect to your server with a FTP tool (e.g. Filezilla)
- Now open the path /write_data/mods (on the right side)
- Now load the .zip files of the downloaded mods into the folder
- Then open the file mod-list.json in the mod folder and enter the mods you use there
- Restart your server after the upload is finished
Important Make sure that you upload the .zip files and NOT the unzipped data as it is often the case.
How do I install the mods on the client side?
- Download the mods from the Factorio Mod Portal again.
- Now navigate to the mod folder on your PC.
You can usually find it here:
- Now drag the .zip file into the folder again.
- Then start the game
Hint You can manage your installed mods directly from the game. You can find an option in the main menu.
How do I add more mods to my server?
If you want to add more mods to your server, you can do it easily through our web interface. Proceed as follows:
- Log in to your account on the GPORTAL page
- Click on “My servers” on the left side of the screen and select your Factorio server
- Stop your server before you make any changes to it
- Now select “Basic Settings” on the left side and scroll down to the bottom of the page
- Here you will find the “Admins” section and a “List of Admins” where you can add new admins or remove old ones
- Now start your server again
Hint Only one ingame name is allowed per line.
For what and how do I use the in-game console?
Like many games, Factorio has a console that can be activated in the game and used for various commands, such as:
- Chat with other players
- Status updates
- Running scripts, commands and cheats
Accessing and using the console
The console can be activated in-game by pressing the / (slash) or ~ (tilde) keys. The keys can also be customized in the control settings. You can find them under:
Settings menu -> Controls -> Toggle chat (and Lua console)
In addition to simple chat messages, rich text tags can also be used to exchange blueprints or mark map positions, for example, and much more.
If a lot of information has been exchanged on the console, you can clear it with the /clear command. You can also use the up and down arrow keys to navigate through the console history.