Play Minecraft with Friends
Would you like to have a Minecraft adventure together with friends? Build a mansion together, explore a desert temple, or explore the world at large? No problem! There are plenty of ways to play Minecraft together with your friends! We’ll introduce you to the most important ones here.
What are the options for playing together?
There are four ways to play Minecraft together with friends:
- Online server
- LAN (Local Area Network)
- Minecraft Realms
- Split screen (console only)
It is important that all players use the same Minecraft version. Tip: You can find your version number at the bottom of the main menu.
Minecraft Multiplayer via online server
An ideal way to play Minecraft with friends is to rent an online server, e.g. a Minecraft server from GPORTAL. Your own server is set up quickly and the slots can be flexibly expanded for you and your friends. Another advantage of a GPORTAL server is that you can expand it with unlimited mods. We also offer you a selection of over 200 mods. So, regardless of your location, you can play Minecraft alone, with a few friends or with all your friends at any time. GPORTAL also provides you with free storage for backups, savegames and configs. If there should be a problem, our support team will help you.
How to create Minecraft multiplayer with GPORTAL
A quick and very easy way to play Minecraft multiplayer with your friends without much effort is to rent a server at GPORTAL. It works like this:
- Go to our Minecraft server page
- Click on the “Order now” button
- Choose the number of slots you need
- Now choose a rental period – tip: you can save a lot if you rent for a longer period!
- Choose the server location and click on “Next”
- Register as a customer or log in to GPORTAL
- Choose a payment method
- Activate your GPORTAL product
- Configure your server
- Copy the IP address from the Gamecloud overview and send it to your friends
- Start Minecraft, click on multiplayer and enter the IP address at “join directly
- Now there is nothing to stop you from playing together
How your friends can join the server in Minecraft Java Edition.
- They need to connect and log into a multiplayer server.
- To do this, you need to download the server folder (for your own server), for example here on GPORTAL or connect to a teammate’s server.
- To join a teammate’s server, go to the multiplayer menu, click on “Add Server” and add the IP address of the server.
Important: The game version must match that of the server. You can also change your own game version for this purpose!
Minecraft multiplayer via online servers for Windows 10, Xbox or mobile.
There are currently eight public servers available:
- The Hive
- Pixel Paradise
Just click on it and off you go!
It is also possible to use external servers via the “Add Server” button.
LAN (Local Area Network)
When playing via LAN (= Local Area Network) you use a local network (e.g. your home network). All players must be logged into the same network.
Multiplayer in Minecraft Java Edition via LAN
- First you must choose a host computer. On it, single player mode is then selected, and you open or create a world.
- After that, click on the ESC key and click on “Open for LAN”. After that you choose in which mode you want to play (Survival is mostly default).
- After that you click on “Start LAN” and the locally hosted game appears. The other players can now go to “Multiplayer Mode” and join the game.
Multiplayer in Minecraft for Windows 10, Xbox or mobile.
- Press “Play” and then “Open/Create World” on the pencil icon.
- In multiplayer mode, check if LAN is visible to everyone.
- Press “Play/Create”
- Your Minecraft friends can search for the available LAN game via the “Friends” tab in the game menu.
Minecraft Realms is a multiplayer offering from Mojang. Here you can experience small games and adventures together with up to 10 friends. However, there is a charge for it.
Minecraft Realms for Java Edition
- An invitation is required to join.
- To invite others, click “Configure Realms” and go to the “Players” tab.
- Then go to the “+” icon and type in the username of the fellow player. The invitation will then be sent.
- The player will get a small message in the Realms menu with “New invitation”. When clicked, the realms that were invited to will be displayed.
Minecraft Realms for Windows 10, Xbox or Mobile
- Again, this requires an invitation.
- You yourself can invite others at the “pencil” icon, on the “members” option. Here then click on “share”, which will generate a link that you can then send to your friends/fellow players.
- This will invite your fellow players to log in and add them to the realm’s “whitelist”. Then they can join via one click.
This option exists only for consoles! It allows a shared Minecraft game for up to four people and is automatically created when the respective controllers log in after starting the game (one player/window section per controller).