Minecraft VR Oculus Quest 2
To immerse yourself in a game was just a way of saying you spend a lot of time in a game some years ago. Then came virtual reality and changed everything. Hardware like PS4 VR and Oculus Rift offer you the possibility to immerse yourself completely in virtual worlds. Since virtual reality became a part of the game back in 2016, you can also play Minecraft VR with your PC on all-in-one systems like the Oculus Quest 2.
What Is Minecraft on Oculus Quest 2?
The whole meaning of VR: players become a part of the virtual worlds themselves. You can move around, turn around and interact with your surroundings through movements. It means you don’t just click buttons or move your mouse but interact using your whole body. For Minecraft VR this means that some experiences you gain include:
- Orientation might be unusual at first
- Blocks appear bigger than expected
- Fights against hostile mobs feel more realistic and more dangerous
- Eating only requires moving food to your mouth
- Sounds truly make this experience your new reality
- Using bow and arrow as in reality makes you feel like an archer
Those are just some examples of what you can expect from Minecraft VR on the Oculus Quest 2. Building your new fortress or walking through snowy biomes becomes a real experience, where you aren’t just Steve or Alex but yourself!
How to Get Minecraft on Oculus Quest 2
Many players consider the Oculus Quest 2 to be the best VR-package on the market currently. There are two different ways to play Minecraft VR on the Oculus Quest 2 depending on the game edition you prefer. For the Java Edition the process of installing and the necessary software are different than for the Bedrock Edition. Whatever edition you prefer, you also need a PC to play Minecraft on Oculus Quest 2.
Minecraft VR: Java Edition
To play the Java Edition of Minecraft on Oculus Quest 2 we recommend using Steam VR. To do this, you first need to install Java and the Java Edition of Minecraft. Then proceed as follows:
- Install Steam VR.
- Install Vivecraft. This is what you need to play Minecraft with Steam VR. You can choose the amount of RAM that will be allocated to Minecraft VR during the installation. It is recommended that you select half of the total RAM available.
- Install and launch Virtual Desktop.
- Connect your Oculus Quest 2 to the Oculus-App on your PC. That way you are able to play wireless.
- Launch Steam VR and then launch the Minecraft Launcher.
- Select Vivecraft as your profile and launch Minecraft VR.
Now, you should be standing in the middle of your new Minecraft VR world, ready to explore, mine and craft as you wish.
Minecraft VR: Bedrock Edition
Unlike the Java Edition, the Bedrock Edition is intended for use of VR. However, since the Bedrock Edition cannot be modded, there might be arguments for the procedure explained above. If you prefer or have already installed the Minecraft Bedrock Edition from the Microsoft Store, proceed as follows:
- Install Oculus Link.
- Install Minecraft within Oculus Link.
- If you haven’t already, install Minecraft Bedrock Edition from the Microsoft Store.
- Connect your Oculus Quest 2 to your PC.
- Now you can easily launch Minecraft from Oculus Link.
This way of installing Minecraft VR seems to be easier and faster. Still, in the end you are ready to explore and roam around Minecraft using your own hands to create houses or for farming to survive.
Can You Use Mods in Minecraft VR?
Yes you can use mods in Minecraft VR if you are using the Java Edition. Similarly to the desktop game, you can install mods to change aspects of the gaming experience. Especially for the new 3D-experience mods that for example change the physics of objects or influence their appearing to make them more realistic may cause a new twist. Since the Bedrock Edition is not compatible with mods in general, this also applies to the Minecraft VR version of Bedrock. Still, whether or not you want to use mods the choice of which ones is completely up to you and the internet provides you with countless possibilities.
Conclusion: Minecraft VR/ Oculus Quest 2
To become a part of the game yourself is the next level of gaming experiences. Minecraft VR offers many well-known features and combines them with new impressions, new control settings and the chance to have fun exploring the basics once again in a cool way. So, have fun immersing yourself in the world of Minecraft VR. But please remember: take regular breaks to prevent motion sickness and give your eyes time to recover.